Drama at Briton Death Anniversary – Kenya

 Mrs Monson, family, friends and Muhuri activists march in a procession in the streets of Diani after laying rose bouquets at the station on May 19, 2013.

Mrs Monson, family, friends and Muhuri activists march in a procession in the streets of Diani after laying rose bouquets at the station on May 19, 2013. PHOTO | LABAN WALLOGA

The mother of Alexander Monson, the son of a British aristocrat who died in police custody last year, on Sunday fought police resistance to place flowers at Diani Police Station in Mombasa to mark the first anniversary of her son’s death.

Mrs Hillary Monson led family and friends carrying rose bouquets into the station in a bid to place them at the cell where her son was held before his death.

However, police armed with batons and tear gas canisters blocked the main gate to ensure the woman’s entourage does not enter the station.

There was a heated exchange between the two parties for almost an hour.

It took the intervention of human rights activists before the woman was allowed to access the station.

Muslims for Human Rights activists (Muhuri) executive director Hussein Khalid said everybody had the right to enter a police station any time since it was a public office.

Mrs Monson dressed in a khanga dress inscribed with words Penzi la Mama Haliishi (Mother’s love is unending) later managed to place 365 roses at the station’s reception.

“Three sixty-five days have passed and the 365 roses with their beauty and their thorns represent the joy and pain of motherhood,” she said.

“Red is for the deep love I bear to him while white is for peace in which he now resides.”

Mrs Monson said she had written to President Kenyatta and his government to speed up police reforms and stop the agony of many mothers who have lost their children in the hands of security officers.

Police, she maintained, had the duty of preventing the death of his son and no bhang or other illegal drugs were found on her son.

After placing the flowers on the counter where suspects are booked, Mrs Monson, together with her boyfriend John Lockhart Mure, dropped several roses on the streets of Diani. They later took another bunch to Palm Beach Hospital, where her son died.

Msambweni police chief Jack Ekakuro, who authorised Mrs Monson to place the flowers, assured her that investigations into Alexander’s death were still going on and that soon those behind it would be brought to book.

“The file is already with the Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko and we are sure very soon those who were behind the killing will be charged,” he said.

Since the death of Mr Alexander, his father, Baron Nicholas John Monson, has been pushing for justice.

He has challenged both the Kenyan and British governments to investigate those behind the mysterious death of his son.

He said the two governments should take action against what he described as “rogue police officers”, who allegedly assaulted his only son.

Alexander, 28, died on May 19 last year at Palm Beach Hospital, where he was taken a day after he was arrested for allegedly smoking bhang at a club in South Coast.

The family has vowed to explore all avenues to ensure quick justice is done.

Mr Monson earlier threatened to sue the Kenyan government for allegedly failing to move with speed on the matter.

A report on his body’s post mortem conducted by private and government pathologists said the suspect died due to blunt force to his head, which caused high pressure and later a heart attack.